I have the same approach to beauty as I do to food - balance. I am deeply passionate about natural beauty in the sense that I love finding natural alternatives that are of a high quality, are environmentally friendly and are good for me and my skin (and actually work!). I believe that when it comes to natural beauty - transition slowly and just try your best. Don’t get obsessive or be hard on yourself if you can’t afford to switch over straight away/if a product is not 100% natural or certified organic - education is power and knowledge is power. By having an awareness of the benefits of choosing a more natural beauty routine - you will be more mindful about what you choose to spend your money on and put on your skin.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
Why natural beauty?
Our skin is our largest organ - it absorbs up to 60% of what we put on it! My philosophy when it comes to health is healing from the INSIDE OUT as well as OUTSIDE IN. If you wouldn’t eat it/ cannot pronounce the ingredients or the ingredients list looks like a chemistry essay - maybe think before purchasing it. The majority of beauty products on the market nowadays contain harmful ingredients that have been linked to promoting skin irritation, premature ageing of the skin as well as being endocrine disrupting and damaging for our hormones. Check out more info at The Environmental Working Group’s website (https://www.ewg.org/)
It all starts with awareness.....
Apart from not being good for our health, skin and hormones, many of these products have been tested on animals and are damaging to the environment. When you wash your face with toxic chemicals - think about where that water is ending up and how the environment may be effected. My biggest tip - AVOID THE DIRTY DOZEN - these ingredients are the top 12 to look out for. EMPOWER yourself ladies!!!! Make it a habit of always reading the ingredient list on a beauty product as you would a food item.
Tar coal dyes
More information as to the researched harmful effects of these 12 ingredients can be found on one of our favourite natural make up artists and natural beauty advocates blog: http://www.depthsofbeauty.com.au/
I am passionate about living a holistic and conscious life - this means VOTING with your dollar. Each time you purchase a product or food item, you are saying YES to that company, it’s philosophy and the ingredients. Rather than emptying out your cupboards and throwing everything into the bin (tad extreme) - aim for every time you run out of a current beauty product to buy a new one that is natural/organic and ethical.
BEAUTY COMES FROM WITHIN
Literally. Gut health when it comes to glowing and radiant skin in SO important. Support your gut health by investing in a good quality probiotic, focus on your sleep (aim for 7-8 hours), mediate in a way that suits you (walking meditation, mantra meditation, cooking as a meditation), breath deeply, eat fermented veggies and eat a variety of colourful veggies and greens.
Lastly.... SMILE. This may sound cheesy but I TRULY believe that there is nothing more freaking beautiful than a girl with a beautiful smile, who talks with kindness and who is confident within their own skin (pimples and cellulite and all).
My Self Care Beauty Essentials
Body Brush - I use my dry body brush once a day before I shower. I spend 2 - 5 mins stroking upwards towards my heart. Not only do I find dry body brushing a beautiful way to tune into my body and to take a meditative, relaxing moment to appreciate it BUT it also helps to detoxify my skin. Dry body brushing stimulates the lymphatic system and helps to support your body eliminate toxins and impurities naturally (I swear that my cellulite has great been reduced as well as my skin in general is more firm and glow-y!)
Epsom Salts - Pour a cup or so into a bath and have a super magnesium hit. Not only are epsom salts greatly relaxing (especially when combined in a bath with candles and essential oils!) BUT they also work to detox our skin and help soothe sore and tired muscles so are also perfect to have after a workout session or busy week. If you live near the ocean, go for a weekly swim! The ocean is like a super magnesium hit serving you a natural hefty dose of vitamins and minerals.
Coconut oil (for oil pulling) once a day - you can oil pull for 10-20 mins a day first thing in the morning by swishing a Tb spoon of organic coconut oil around in your mouth and then spitting the remainder in the bin (as it can clog the sink). Oil pulling draws out the toxins that have formed in your mouth overnight as well as helps to whiten teeth, promote gum health and improve skin conditions. You can also combine this with tongue scraping to completely remove any nasty bacteria from your mouth - you will feel so fresh after! I use fractionated coconut oil as a moisturiser and combine it with Ylang Ylang, Copaiba, Frankincense, Cedarwood and Geranium essential oils.
FLUX - Install the software on your computer and put nightshift on your phone to help prevent harmful blue light from effecting your sleep patterns! Invest as well in blue blocking glasses to protect yourself when you work on your computer (or are in an airport) Baxter Blue has really nice ones. Rose quartz/Jade facial roller - Not an essential but SO NICE. I use my facial roller to roll in my organic rosehip oil every night before bed. It helps with reducing facial puffiness and seriously makes your skin glow by stimulating all blood flow in your face! I pop mine in the fridge so it's nice and cool.
Grounding (putting your bare feet on the earth) - In nature daily.
Invest in as much green for your home as possible. Grounding is a beautiful way of connecting to mother nature and relaxing your whole entire system.
Essential oils - I personally carry lavender essential oils with me wherever I go. Lavender is known for being extremely calming and relaxing. A tip for students is to carry peppermint essential oil or rosemary essential oil in your bag and to smell it before a test or exam - it’s known to boost memory and focus. Essential oils can be used for so many different purposes. I magnolia and jasmine essential oil as perfume and I love knowing that even my scent is therapeutic (magnolia is one of the most calming and BEAUTIFUL scents, it contains the highest amount of linalool known to calm and reduce anxiety - I swear it’s like a little dose of calm not only for myself but for those around me and whenever I wear it I get so many compliments!).
Below is my current daily beauty routine
(Nothing is sponsored this is genuinely products I use daily and love)
1. Wake up after at least 7-8 hours solid sleep (if possible!)
2. Drink 1 cup warm water with 1 drop Lemon essential oil then fill my bottle up with 1L water and sip throughout morning before I leave the house
3. Get nakey and I spend 5 minutes body brushing with upward strokes towards my heart and really try and do this mindfully. Often I will say affirmations to my body with every stroke such as “I love you” or “I am so grateful for you”. I drop on my body brush a drop of a nurturing and feminine essential oil (either pink pepper, ylang ylang, frankincense or geranium or a combination!)
4. Shower and if I am washing my hair (I am trying to wait until day three to give my hair a break) I use the DoTERRA shampoo and conditioner. I keep my Rosemary essential oil in the shower and after shampooing will place three drops of rosemary into my conditioner and rub into the roots and ends of my hair and leave for two mins whilst I wash my body with my DoTERRA body wash. I also pop a drop of Tea Tree essential oil on the floor of my shower before I get in and it’s seriously like a relaxing rainforest steam room. So refreshing! I try and be as quick as i can with my showers and take five minutes max. At the end of my shower I will blast cold water to shock my system/metabolism and seal the cuticles of my hair so its extra shiny!
5. Wash my face with my Organicsceuticals Lactic Gel Cleanser
6. Get Facial Roller from my fridge (I pop it in overnight so it’s nice and cool on my skin and helps get rid of any puffiness) and roll over my face with a little bit of rosehip oil and copaiba essential oil. I place a drop of each in my palm and rub together and pup on my face and really focus in on around my eye area. I have Armenian in my heritage so naturally have darker circles under my eyes and I find that copaiba really helps with reducing the darkness.
7. Brush teeth with my DoTERRA Onguard Toothpaste and use my DoTERRA Onguard mouthwash + floss
8. Pop on my DIY body moisturiser I make (recipe below!)
9. Brekkie time! (Day on a plate coming soon!) I then take my JS Health Vitamins (hair and energy, AM multivitamin and mental wellbeing + skin + joints vitamin)
10. Pop on my perfume (or Purefume as its natural and toxin free!) to my pulse points on my wrists and neck. I LOVE the combination of jasmine and rose essential oils lately but also sometimes use magnolia essential oil and jasmine. Or Whisper essential oil. I also intuitively pick and oil to run through my hair so that I can smell it all day (lately its been geranium essential oil). Fun fact: I learnt
that Cleopatra wore Jasmine and Rose essential oils as her perfume! My grandparents grew up in Egypt so I feel very connected to this.and to her.
11. Apply makeup if going out! My makeup currently is all Inika! I love the powder foundation, Vegan Long lash mascara, gold dust eyeshadow as a highlighter, Sunkissed bronzer, eyeliner in coco and eyebrow pencil in brunette and ALWAYS pop on my ultimate favourite pink poppy lipstick!
12. If I am tanning for an event (or for life!) I will pop on my eco tan after I get out of the shower. I use Winter Skin in a light/medium and build it up over two days. I also use KORA organics by Miranda Kerr sun kissed glow body oil on my collarbones and arms if I am wanting some extra glow/shimmer!
Throughout the day I will reapply my lipstick and perfume. I also try and drink 3L of water! If I am feeling zesty I will add a single drop of Grapefruit essential oil to my water to help with digestion (and I LOVE the taste).
1. Twice a week if I am having a spa night I will cleanse my face with my Organicsceuticals Lactic Gel Cleanser and put on my Bondi Blooms Botanical Glowing Clay Mask and leave on for 30 mins to overnight and wash off in morning + moisturise. I will also once a week use the Organicsceuticals Skincare Enzyme Microexfoliant after cleansing to get rid of any blackheads or build up of dead skin cells.
2. On a normal night I will cleanse with warm water and then use my Organicspa Skincare Moisture Rich moisturiser.
3. Take JS Heath PM multivitamin
4. Pop Rose quartz roller in the fridge ready for tomorrow morning!
5. Put Lavender peace on in the diffuser and a drop of Lavender essential oil on my pillow and relax.
DIY Body Moisturiser
One cup Fractionated Coconut oil
5 drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
3 drops Yarrow Pom Essential Oil
5 drops Copaiba Essential Oil
5 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
5 drops Geranium Essential Oil
5 drops Cederwood Essential Oil
5 drops Pink Pepper Essential Oil
Pop in a glass jar with a pump lid! You can buy at scoop whole foods or online!
P.S My facial of choice is at Bioty Spa in Sydney! One of the only places I have found that has natural, organic facials! It is run by two lovely and sweet french women. I will try an pop in monthly! They helped me so much with my skin. I also get my eyebrows done there monthly.
If you have any questions, please message me on instagram or email me! I LOVE helping people find ways to upgrade their health and switch over to a more low tox & natural lifestyle. Also I am ALWAYS open to tips and recommendations!
I hope you enjoyed! So much more to come - stay tuned!
Lots of love,